Using Tech as a Weapon Part 2

In one of my previous posts I discussed the dangers of the smartphone as merely a tool.  I encourage you to read those reflections here.

I argued that we must find ways to use our technology as a weapon against the devil, or he will find ways to use it against us.

One thing lacking in my argument, however, was suggestions on practical ways to do this.

Part of the reason for this was this that I had no real idea at the time of what that would look like. But recently I came across some ways worthy of sharing.

Here they are:

First, Catholic Podcasts.

I have been listening basically non-stop to a couple of catholic podcasts. It really helps my focus in prayer.  It is very healthy to cut down on secular music and bring on some wholesome catholic content. I don't do boring, so trust me and give these suggestions a try.

My favorite is called Catholic Stuff You Should Know. A combination of informative content and witness of priestly fraternity and community, it always hits the spot. My favorite episodes so far are; Theosis, The Challenge, The Heart of Marriage, and Celibatio Celebratio. Check it out, it's pretty great.

My second choice so far is of course Word on Fire with Bishop Robert Barron. This one tends to be more heavy and so I listen to a lot less of this, but check it out.

Another favorite of mine is Frater Catholic Podcast. This one is by a few seminarians from across the U.S. Real good stuff, and one of the only other catholic podcasts I've found worth listening to so far, at least on my podcast app.

More importantly than the intellectual/cultural enrichment by podcasts is consistent prayer.

Download the ibreviary app, seriously. You can pray with and for the universal church by praying the Liturgy of the Hours. Start with just one of the hours, and work your way up to a few more as you can.  Night Prayer takes little more than five minutes, and even the office of readings can be as little as 15-20. Not everyone has the money to buy and time to figure out how to use the actual book version, but this app for apple and android couldn't be simpler.

Especially with everything going on in the Church today, we all need to step up our game in terms of praying for the Church. If you don't know what this means or what praying for the Church looks like, LITURGY OF THE HOURS.

Lastly, because phones and other forms of technology are good in and of themselves, you can legitimately fast from them.

Set aside an hour or more during every day or one or two days a month or week to just turn off your phone.

True, some of us need to be on call 24/7 for various reasons, but most of us just think we do and would be very surprised how well the rest of the world gets by without us. In fact, I would venture to suggest that it can be a form of sinful pride to let ourselves think that we are are so important that we can't ignore our phone or email for a few hours a day.

The most honest among us admit that our technology leads us away from God more easily than toward Him. Of those, only the bravest do something about it.

I would love to hear more suggestions on how technology can be used to support the growth of the spiritual life. It is a good which can be immensely helpful to us if we are prudent in its use.

I encourage you all to actively reflect and seek out ways to be more prudent and spiritual with the use of technology.  Share these thoughts and discussions with your friends and anyone who is willing to open up to the conversation.

The potential that tech has to destroy humanity is held back by the overpowering good that it can potentially do.

Comments

  1. https://luke1128.org/

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3x3gDTqUYy_bFZWS-U_mZQ

    https://taylormarshall.com/

    https://soundcloud.com/st-josemaria-institute

    https://www.veritascaritas.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will be looking into these resources over the coming weeks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts